Options to Minimize Cellphone/Data Charges Abroad:
1. Get an international plan from your carrier for Voice, Messaging and or Data.
2. Get your phone unlocked before you leave, and when you get to your destination buy a local SIM card and use that during your stay.
3. Use Wi-Fi wherever it is available, and use any of the various apps available to communicate. Some of the popular ones are WhatsApp, Viber, Skype, Tango , ooVoo, Hangouts, and Facebook Messenger
Tips to Avoid Data Roaming Charges Overseas:
1. Turn off Data Roaming.
2. Turn off Cellular Data if you don’t need it. (Use W-Fi instead)
3. Disable “Push” and “Fetch” notifications
4. Disable Auto Syncing
5. Keep track of your data usage.
Photo by ahisgett